The Law of Ukraine
On Social Services
Date of Entry into Force:
January 1, 2004
The Law defines basic organizational and legal principles of rendering of social services to the persons who have difficult life circumstances and require assistance of other people. Difficult life circumstances shall be understood as the circumstances that objectively disturb ordinary vital activity of the person and which the person cannot cope with.
Basic principles of rendering of social services shall be:
- encouragement of the persons who have difficult life circumstances which they cannot cope with by means of available facilities and possibilities;
- prevention of arising of difficult life circumstances;
- creation of conditions for self solution of life problems which arise.
Basic forms o rendering of social services shall be:
- material aid provided to the persons who are in a difficult life situation in the form of monetary or in form in kind: food products, sanitary and personal hygiene means, childcare means, clothes, footwear and other necessities, fuel, as well as technical and additional rehabilitation devices;
- social servicing performed by rendering of the following social services:
a) in the place of residence of the person (at home);
b) in stationary boarding establishments and institutions;
c) in rehabilitation establishments and institutions;
d) in day-stay establishments and institutions;
e) in temporary or permanent stay establishments and institutions;
f) in territorial social service centers;
g) in other social support (care) establishments.
The right to social services shall have the citizens of Ukraine, as well as foreigners and stateless persons, including refugees who reside in Ukraine on legal grounds and have difficult life circumstances.
Social services may be rendered for payment and free of charge.
Free of charge social services shall be rendered by the state and communal subjects in amounts determined according to the state social service standards to:
- the citizens incapable of self-service due to old age, disease, disability, who do not have relatives to take care of them and help them;
- the citizens who have difficult life circumstances provided that their total average monthly income is below the set minimum living wage;
- children and youth who have difficult life circumstances due to disability, disease, orphanage, homelessness, indigence, conflicts and cruelty in the family.
An exhaustive list of social services, conditions of their rendering and the procedure for regulation of their tariffs shall be set by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
In order to obtain social services rendered by:
- state and communal subjects, the person concerned shall apply with a written application to the local body of executive power or body of local self-government;
- non-state subjects, the person concerned shall apply to the respective subject that renders the services.
The Law contains the list of rights and duties of recipients and grantors of social services.
Professional activity in the sphere of rendering of social services shall be subject to licensing according to the Law of Ukraine “On Licensing of Some Types of Economic Activity”.
Social services shall be financed from the state and local budgets, special funds, money of enterprises, institutions and organizations, payment for social services, money for charity (donation), money of recipients of social services and other sources envisaged by the legislation.
Decision about refusal to render, reduction of volume or stop to render social services by the state and communal subjects may be appealed to central or local body of executive power or body of local self-government which issued permit to rendering of social services, as well as to court.
Ukraine participates in the international cooperation in the sphere of rendering of social services.