Law of Ukraine
“On Ratification of the General Agreement between Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo on Trade, Economic, Research, Technical, Social and Cultural Cooperation”
Date of entry into force:
February 14, 2012
The General Agreement between Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo on Trade, Economic, Research, Technical, Social and Cultural Cooperation (hereinafter referred to as “Agreement”) was concluded October 11, 2000 in Kinshasa.
The Law ratifies the Agreement.
Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to the legislation and rules effective on their territories, shall develop bilateral trade, economic, research, technical, social and cultural cooperation on the long-term, equal and stable basis. The cooperation of the Contractual Parties shall include, among others, such spheres as agriculture, health care, transport and communication, urban development, customs, taxation, and other spheres, by mutual agreement (Article 1 of the Agreement).
According to Article 2 of the Agreement, the Contractual Parties shall grant each other the most favored nation treatment in all issues related to:
- duties and fees levied on import and export, including the method of levying such duties and fees;
- provisions on customs clearance, transit, warehousing and handling;
- taxes and other internal fees directly or indirectly related to imported or exported goods;
- payment methods and payment transfer methods;
- rules related to selling, purchasing, transporting, distributing and using goods on the domestic market.
Each of the Contractual Parties shall grant the goods that originate from the territory of one Contractual Party and intended for the territory of the other Contractual Party non-discriminatory terms in regard of quantitative restrictions and licensing.
Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo shall entice and facilitate contacts between their natural persons and legal entities by establishing contacts in the business circles, organizing fairs, exhibitions, and exchanging information. Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo shall facilitate opening of representative offices of foreign trade organizations, companies, firms, banks and other commercial institutions on each other’s territories, according to their laws and regulations (Article 4 of the Agreement).
According to Article 7 of the Agreement, natural persons and legal entities of each Contractual Party shall also have the opportunity to import and export goods and services under cross-trade, compensation agreements or any other internationally accepted forms of business cooperation, according to the legislation and regulations of the Contractual Parties.
Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo shall entire investment, research and technological cooperation between their states, namely, by creating joint companies on their territories, aimed at their domestic markets and third-party markets. Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo shall prepare and conclude an agreement on facilitation and mutual protection of investments (Article 9 of the Agreement).
Article 10 of the Agreement establishes that Ukraine and the Democratic Republic of Congo shall facilitate development of cooperation between institutions and organizations of both states in the spheres of culture, education and science, and shall facilitate expansion of contacts between the representatives of science and culture.
According to Article 11 of the Agreement, research and technical cooperation shall be carried out in the following directions:
- joint research and technological projects in the sphere of science and technology, on the principle of mutual benefit;
- exchanging specialists to implement joint research and technical projects approved by the Contractual Parties;
- exchanging scientific information, technical documents and publications, and information about new developments in science and technology;
- other cooperation directions by mutual agreement of the Contractual Parties.