The Law of Ukraine
On the Capital of Ukraine - City-Hero Kyiv
Date of Entry into Force:
January 28, 1999
The Law determines a special status of the city of Kyiv as the capital of Ukraine, the peculiarities of performing executive power and local self-government in the city according to the Constitution of Ukraine and laws of Ukraine.
Pursuant to the Constitution of Ukraine, Kyiv is the capital of Ukraine. The city Kyiv as the capital of Ukraine is:
- a political and administrative center of the state;
- the place of location of residence of the state's head - the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the Constitutional Court of Ukraine, the Supreme Court of Ukraine and central bodies of state power;
- a spiritual, cultural, historical, educational scientific center of Ukraine;
- the place of location of diplomatic representative offices of foreign states and international organizations in Ukraine.
The city Kyiv is the place of location of respective bodies of executive power and local self-government.
The system of administrative territorial structure of the city Kyiv is consists of districts in city. The territorial community of the city Kyiv has coat of arms, flag and other symbols. Districts in the city may have own symbols.
The bodies of local self-government and executive power in the city Kyiv ensure within the limits of their authorities, determined by the laws of Ukraine, fulfillment by the city of the following functions:
- creation of proper conditions for activity in the city of the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the central bodies of executive power, the official representative offices of foreign states and international organizations;
- co-operation with the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine during development and taking by them measures, programs and projects which touch interests of the capital;
- taking measures on saving and renewal of the monuments of history, culture, religion, architecture and city-planning, reserve and natural areas and landscapes, which have national value;
- implementation of other functions of the city Kyiv, envisaged by the legislation of Ukraine, specific for functioning of Kyiv as the capital of the state, within the limits of the legislation of Ukraine.
The Law determines organizational legal basis for conducting local self-government and executive power in the city Kyiv. Local self-government in the city Kyiv is conducted by the city's territorial community directly, as well as through Kyiv city council, district in city councils and their executive bodies.
Representative bodies of local self-government - Kyiv city council and district in city councils, which are legal entities, - operate in the city Kyiv.
Kyiv city and district in city councils have own executive bodies that are created respectively by Kyiv city council and district in city councils. These bodies are under control of and report to the respective councils.
The Law defines authorities of the officials of bodies of local self-government and executive power in the city Kyiv.
Kyiv city council forms secretariat of the council. The secretariat performs organizational, legal, informational, analytical, material and technical provision of activity of the council, its bodies, deputies, facilitates cooperation of Kyiv city council with city state administration and district councils in the city Kyiv.
Kyiv city head is elected in the city Kyiv. Except for the authorities determined in the Law of Ukraine “On Local Self-Government in Ukraine” Kyiv city head has the following additional authorities:
- takes part in preparation of draft laws of Ukraine, decrees of the President of Ukraine and the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, respective programs, which refer to the city Kyiv;
- participates in solution of issues regarding holding in the city of national and international measures;
- takes part in the meetings of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine with the right of advisory vote during consideration of the issues that refer to the capital of Ukraine - the city Kyiv;
- submits to consideration of the President of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine drafts of respective normative and legal acts, as well as other suggestions on the issues that refer to the city Kyiv as the capital of Ukraine;
- gives consent to designation and dismissal of the heads of enterprises and city bodies of executive power of double subordination;
- gets information as regards to the activity of all enterprises, institutions and organizations on the city territory irrespective of their subordination and ownership forms in the part that refers to vital activity of the city Kyiv and influences on the implementation by the city Kyiv of functions of the capital, other.
The Law also determines additional rights of Kyiv city council which are connected with the implementation by the city Kyiv of functions of the capital.
Material and financial ground for local self-government in the city Kyiv is movable and immovable property, revenues of local budgets, other funds, land, natural resources that are owned by the city's residents or are managed by them.
The Law also sets the peculiarities of budget of the city Kyiv, which consist in the fact that the state finances in full fulfillment by the bodies of local self-government of the city Kyiv of functions of the capital. The funds which are necessary for fulfillment of these functions are envisaged annually in the law on the State Budget of Ukraine.
Bodies of local self-government and bodies of executive power in the city Kyiv and Kyiv oblast base their relations on contractual, compensatory and other determined by the current legislation principles.