Law of Ukraine
"On Ratification of the Agreement Between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil on Cooperation in the Defense Sphere"
Date of entry into force:
December 5, 2011
The Agreement Between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Federative Republic of Brazil on Cooperation in the Defense Sphere (hereinafter referred to as "Agreement") was signed on September 15, 2010 in Kyiv.
The Constitution of Ukraine (Article 85, paragraph 32) states that the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine provides consent for Ukraine to be bound by international agreements. And, according to Article 9 of the Law of Ukraine "On International Agreements of Ukraine" the Agreement is subject to ratification.
The Law ratifies the Agreement.
According to Article 2 of the Agreement, cooperation between Ukraine and Brazil in the defense sphere is carried out in the following directions:
- mutual visits of high-level officials to civilian and military institutions;
- meetings between defense structures of equal ranking;
- exchanging instructors and students of military educational institutions;
- taking part in theoretical and practical educational courses, orientation stages, seminars, conferences, discussions and symposiums held in military and civilian institutions in the defense sphere;
- visiting military vessels and planes;
- holding cultural and sporting events;
- cooperation related to defense materials and services;
- implementing and developing defense programs and projects;
- mutual visits of representatives of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and Brazil.
While implementing the cooperation measures under the Agreement, the Parties obligate to respect appropriate principles and goals of the UN Statute, which includes sovereign equality of states, territorial integrity, and non-interference in the internal affairs of other states (Article 3 of the Agreement).
Article 4 of the Agreement envisages that Ukraine and Brazil are responsible for all expenses borne by their personnel in relation to execution of the Agreement.
Civil liability is regulated by Article 5 of the Agreement.
According to Article 6 of the Agreement, exchange and protection of restricted information is carried out after signing a specialized bilateral Agreement on Mutual Protection of Restricted Information.