The Law of Ukraine
Date of Entry into Force:
July 16, 1993
The Law of Ukraine “On Traffic” (hereinafter the Law) determines legal and social grounds of traffic with the purpose of protection of citizens' life and health, creation of safe and comfort conditions for participants of traffic and environmental protection. It regulates public relations in the sphere of traffic and its safety, determines rights, duties and responsibilities of subjects - participants of traffic, ministries, other central bodies of state executive power, associations, enterprises, establishments and organizations regardless of ownership form and economic activity.
Chapter two of the Law is devoted to issues on competence of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, bodies of legislative and executive power of the Republic Crimea, regions and cities of republican subordination, city and district Council of people's deputies and city and district executive power, village and settlement Council of people's deputies and their executive bodies, bodies of territorial public self-government, owners of roads, streets and crossings, owners of transport vehicles in the sphere of traffic. The Law also envisages participation of ministries, other central bodies of state executive power and associations, enterprises, establishments, organizations, citizens in ensuring traffic safety as well as duties of officials in this sphere.
Participants of traffic shall be the persons who use roads, streets, crossings or other places designed for movement of people and transportation of cargos by means of transport vehicles. To participants of traffic shall refer drivers and passengers of transport vehicles, passers-by, cyclists, teamsters. Participants of traffic shall have the right to:
- safe conditions of traffic, reimbursement of expenses caused due to inconsistency between condition of roads, streets, crossings and requirements of traffic safety;
- study traffic norms and rules;
- receive information about traffic conditions from hydrometeorological, road, communal and other organizations as well as bodies of State Autoinspection of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine, military inspection on traffic safety of Military Law-Enforcement Service in the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
Participants of traffic shall:
- know and adhere to requirements of this Law, traffic Rules and other normative acts on traffic safety issues;
- create safe traffic conditions, not harm enterprises, establishments, organizations and citizens with their actions or inactivity;
- perform resolutions of state supervision and control bodies as regards to adherence to the legislation on traffic.
Each citizen who reached age inscribed in this Law and does not have medical contra-indications may acquire the right to drive respective transport vehicle (become a driver) in a set procedure. Participants of traffic shall have the right to drive:
- motor vehicles and motor carriages - from sixteen years old;
- automobiles of all types and categories (except buses and motor vehicles for the transport of goods equipped for the transport of eight or more passengers), trams and trolley-busses - from eighteen years old;
- buses and motor vehicles for the transport of goods equipped for the transport of eight or more passengers - from nineteen years old.
A citizen who wishes to acquire the right to drive transport vehicle shall go through training in volume envisaged by the training program for drivers of transport vehicles of respective category or type. The right to drive transport vehicles shall be certified by respective driving license. State and international driving licenses that comply with the Convention on Traffic shall be valid on the territory of Ukraine. The procedure of such licenses issue shall be set by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
A driver may be deprived of the right to drive transport vehicle due to worsening of health condition, if it prevents safe driving, as well as for non-fulfillment of set duties in cases stipulated by the legislation. Deprivation of driver of the right to drive transport vehicle due to worsening of health condition shall be conducted on the basis of conclusions of respective medical establishments.
Deprivation of driver of the right to drive transport vehicle due to non-fulfillment of duties set by legislation shall be conducted on the basis of materials of case on administrative violation of traffic rules, resolution of refusal to bring in criminal case or materials of criminal case. Deprivation of right to drive transport vehicle shall be conducted until full removal of reasons that prevent driver from safe driving of transport vehicle and in case s/he does not fulfill set duties - for the term determined by the current legislation.
A driver shall have the right to:
- drive transport vehicle and transport passengers or cargos on roads, streets and in other places where traffic is not prohibited in set procedure;
- know the reason of stopping transport vehicle by official of state body which controls traffic as well as surname and post of this official;
- receive necessary aid from officials, organizations which participate in ensuring traffic safety, other.
A driver shall:
- bring transport vehicle to state maintenance inspection timely;
- give privileged right to passage to transport vehicles with switched on blue or red flash-lights and special sound signals;
- pay state tax on owners of transport vehicles in amounts set by the legislation, other.
The Law also sets basic rules and duties of passers-by, passengers, cyclists and teamsters, issues related to teaching Traffic Rules to different population groups.
Chapter four of the Law is devoted to roads, streets, their division and rules of their use, basic requirements as regards to projecting, building, reconstruction and repair of roads, streets and crossings, activity of owners of roads, streets and crossings; questions of equipment of roads, streets and crossings with service objects, limitation or prohibition of traffic during repair works on automobile roads, streets and crossings.
Chapter five of the Law is devoted to issues related to transport vehicles, in particular:
- permit to transport vehicles to participate in traffic;
- requirements regarding production of transport vehicles;
- requirements regarding import of transport vehicles on the territory of Ukraine;
- requirements regarding re-equipment of transport vehicles;
- requirements regarding technical condition of operated transport vehicles;
- registration and record of transport vehicles;
- State maintenance inspection of transport vehicles;
- requirements regarding technical service and repair of transport vehicles;
- grounds to prohibit operation of transport vehicles.
Chapter six of the Law determines tasks of traffic standardization and regulation, norms and standards of traffic. Chapter seven is devoted to planning and financing of measures as regards to ensuring of traffic safety. Chapter eight of the Law determines medical provision of traffic and chapter nine - environmental protection. Chapters ten and eleven cover issues on control and responsibility for violation of legislation on traffic.