The Law of Ukraine
On Citizenship of Ukraine
Date of Entry into Force:
March 1, 2001
The Law determine legal content of citizenship of Ukraine, grounds and procedure for its obtaining and cancellation, authorities of bodies of state power which settle issues related to citizenship of Ukraine, acts or inactivity of bodies of state power, their officials and employees.
The legislation of Ukraine on citizenship is based on the following principles:
1) single citizenship - the citizenship of Ukraine that excludes the possibility of existence of citizenship of administrative territorial units of Ukraine;
2) prevention of statelessness;
3) impossibility to deprive the citizen of Ukraine of citizenship of Ukraine;
4) recognition of the right of the citizen of Ukraine to change citizenship;
5) impossibility to obtain and terminate the citizenship of Ukraine automatically;
6) equality of citizens of Ukraine before law irrespective of grounds, procedure and moment of obtaining the citizenship of Ukraine;
7) preservation of the citizenship of Ukraine regardless of place of residence of the citizen of Ukraine.
The Law sets that the citizens of Ukraine are:
a) all citizens of former USSR who for the moment of declaration of independence of Ukraine (August 24, 1991) permanently resided on the territory of Ukraine;
b) the persons who for the moment of entry into force of the Law of Ukraine “On Citizenship of Ukraine” (November 13, 1991) resided in Ukraine and were not the citizens of other states;
c) the persons who came to Ukraine for permanent residence after November 13, 1991 and who had “the citizen of Ukraine” inscription inserted into their 1974-type passport of the USSR by the bodies f internal affairs of Ukraine, as well as children of such persons who arrived at Ukraine together with parents, provided that they had not attained their majority for the moment of arrival at Ukraine;
d) the persons who obtained Ukrainian citizenship according to the laws and international agreements of Ukraine.
The citizenship of Ukraine is certified by the following documents:
1) passport of the citizen of Ukraine;
2) certificate on the citizenship of Ukraine;
3) passport of the citizen of Ukraine for departure abroad;
4) temporary certificate of the citizen of Ukraine;
5) child travel document;
6) diplomatic passport;
7) service passport;
8) seaman's certificate;
9) crew member certificate;
10) certificate of person for return to Ukraine.
A Ukrainian citizenship may be acquired by:
2) territorial origin;
3) granting the citizenship of Ukraine.
In order to obtain citizenship on the basis of the above reasons the person shall:
- recognize and observe the Constitution of Ukraine and the laws of Ukraine;
- undertake to terminate foreign citizenship or not to have foreign citizenship;
- live on legal basis on the territory of Ukraine during the last five years;
- obtain permit to permanent residence in Ukraine;
- speak state language or understand it in volume sufficient for communication. This condition shall not apply to the persons who have physical impairments (blind, deaf, dumb);
- have legal sources of existence. This condition shall not apply to the persons who have refuge status or shelter in Ukraine;
4) renewal of citizenship;
6) establishment of curatorship or guardianship as regards to child;
7) establishment of curatorship over the person who was recognized incapable by court;
8) citizenship of Ukraine of one or both parents of a child;
9) establishment of parenthood;
10) other reasons envisaged by the international agreements of Ukraine.
Shall not be the citizen of Ukraine the person who:
1) commuted crime against humanity or genocide;
2) is convicted in Ukraine to deprivation of liberty for grave crime (until serving of convictions);
3) committed on the territory of other state the act which is recognized as grave crime by the legislation of Ukraine.
The citizenship of Ukraine shall be terminated, due to:
1) withdrawal of the citizenship of Ukraine. A citizen of Ukraine may withdraw of the citizenship of Ukraine upon his/her petition. If the child's parents withdraw of the citizenship of Ukraine, upon petition of one of them the child may withdraw of the citizenship of Ukraine together with the parents. The children from 14 to 18 years old may withdraw of the citizenship of Ukraine only with their consent;
2) loss of the citizenship of Ukraine;
3) reasons envisaged by the international agreements of Ukraine.
A specially authorized central body of executive power on citizenship issues and bodies subordinate thereof shall accept from the persons applications together with other documents related to obtaining and withdrawal of the citizenship of Ukraine, verify their accuracy and together with their conclusion shall send them to consideration of the Commission for citizenship issues at the President of Ukraine. The Commission shall consider applications of the persons about their acceptance to the citizenship of Ukraine, withdrawal of the citizenship of Ukraine and submission about loss of the citizenship of Ukraine and submit suggestions to the President of Ukraine regarding satisfaction of these applications and submissions. Having obtained these proposals the President of Ukraine shall make decision and issue decrees on acceptance of a person to the citizenship of Ukraine and termination of the citizenship of Ukraine.
Decision about becoming a citizen of Ukraine shall be cancelled, if the person obtained it by deceit, due to presenting deliberately false information or documents, concealment of any significant fact at presence of which the person cannot obtain the citizenship of Ukraine.
Decisions about citizenship-related issues adopted by the specially authorized central body of executive power on citizenship issues, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and their bodies may be appealed to court according to the set procedure.