Law of Ukraine
“On Adopting the National Target Program for Developing Water Management and Environmental Improvement of the Dnipro River Basin for the Period up to 2021”
Date of entry into force:
January 1, 2013
The Law adopts the National Target Program for Developing Water Management and Environmental Improvement of the Dnipro River Basin for the Period up to 2021 (hereinafter referred to as “Program”).
The Law declares the following documents null and void:
- the Resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine “On the National Program for Environmental Improvement of the Dnipro River Basin and Improvement of Drinking Water Quality” N123/97-VR of February 27, 1997;
- the Law of Ukraine “On the National Program for Developing Water Management” N2988-III of January 17, 2002.
The objective of the Program is determining the main directions of state policy in the sphere of water management to satisfy the needs of the population and branches of the national economy for water resources, preserve and restore water resource, implement a system for integrated management of water resources using the basin principle, restoring the importance of reclaimed land in food and resource support of the state, optimizing water consumption, and preventing and liquidating the consequences of the harmful impact of water.
The main Program tasks are creating favorable conditions for effective water management, implementing state policy in the sphere of management, use and restoration of water resources using the basin principle, ensuring development of land reclamation and operation of state-owned comprehensive water management facilities, and improving the organizational structure of integrated water resource management.
Implementing the Program will allow:
- satisfying the need of the population and branches of the national economy for quality water resources;
- decreasing the amount of water consumption and disposal;
- ensuring efficient protection of territories and the population against harmful effects of water;
- improving the water use structure in the industry, especially metallurgy, the energy sector, and the chemical industry;
- decreasing the water consumption level of production 1.5-2 times;
- increasing the efficiency and ensuring the environmental safety of water consumption;
- decreasing the dependence of agricultural crop growing on unfavorable weather conditions;
- ensuring the work of land reclamation systems and improving the environmental state of irrigated and reclaimed fields;
- minimizing the possible losses caused by the harmful effect of water;
- improving the system for state management of water resources.
The Program measures are financed from state and local budgets, and other sources not prohibited by law. The amount of financing is determined annually, during drafting of the Law on the State Budget of Ukraine for the respective year, with regard to the real capacity of the state budget. The approximate amount of financing is UAH 46,478.46 million, including UAH 21,029.03 from the state budget, UAH 9,294.23 million from local budgets, and UAH 16,155.2 million from other sources not prohibited by law, distributed as follows:
- ensuring development of land reclamation and environmental improvement of irrigated and reclaimed fields – UAH 30,090.49 million;
- ensuring top-priority centralized water supply for rural population centers using imported water – UAH 1,668.6 million;
- protecting rural population centers and agricultural fields against the harmful effects of water – UAH 1,571.48 million;
- comprehensive anti-flood protection in the basins of the Dnipro, Prut and Siret rivers – UAH 5,226.69 million;
- comprehensive anti-flood protection in the basin of the Tysa river, Zakarpattya region – UAH 1,835.2 million;
- environmental improvement of the Dnipro river basin and drinking water quality improvement – UAH 6,086 million.
Annexes to the Program provide for:
- forecasted Program financing amounts and sources;
- Program tasks and events;
- expected results of the Program implementation.