Law of Ukraine
"On Ratification of the Agreement between Ukraine and the Republic of Poland on Social Security"
Date of entry into force:
October 9, 2013
The Agreement between Ukraine and the Republic of Poland on Social Security (hereinafter referred to as "Agreement") was concluded on May 18, 2012 in Kyiv.
The Constitution of Ukraine (Article 85, paragraph 32) states that the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine provides consent for Ukraine to be bound by international agreements. And, according to Article 9 of the Law of Ukraine "On International Agreements of Ukraine", the Agreement is subject to ratification.
The Law ratifies the Agreement.
Article 1 of the Agreement provides definitions of terms used in it.
According to Article 2 of the Agreement, pertaining to Ukraine, the Agreement is applied to legislation on mandatory state social insurance related to:
- illness (temporary disability), pregnancy and labor (childbirth);
- industrial accidents, occupational diseases and/or deaths caused by them;
- retirement due to age, disability, loss of provider, or based on term of service, according to the legislation on mandatory state pension insurance;
- funeral grants.
Pertaining to Poland, the Agreement is applied to legislation on mandatory insurance and the following social security aid (unemployment benefits), as well as social insurance for agrarian workers:
- aid in case of illness and childbirth;
- pensions, aid in case of disability, and family rent;
- aid in case of workplace accident or occupational disease;
- funeral grants.
Unless otherwise provided for by the Agreement, persons eligible under the provisions of the Agreement bear the same obligations and exercise the same rights as those envisaged by the legislation of the other Party State, on the same conditions as the citizens of the latter Party State (Article 4 of the Agreement).
Provisions on different types of aid are envisaged in Chapter III of the Agreement.
According to Article 20 of the Agreement, the competent authorities of Ukraine and Poland, in order to implement the Agreement:
- agree on the Agreement implementation mechanism in the Administrative Agreement on the Agreement Implementation;
- determine the contact bodies and competent authorities in order to simplify and quicken implementation of the Agreement provisions;
- exchange information about any changes in legislation that may influence execution of the Agreement provisions.