The Law of Ukraine
On Basic Principles of Social Protection of Labor Veterans and Other Elderly Citizens in Ukraine
Date of Entry into Force:
January 20, 1994
The Law of Ukraine “On Basic Principles of Social Protection of Labor Veterans and Other Elderly Citizens in Ukraine” (hereinafter the Law) determines basic principles of state policy regarding labor veterans, other elderly citizens. The Law is aimed at forming humane, respective attitude towards them in society, at ensuring of their active long-life. The Law guarantees to labor veterans and elderly citizens equal with other citizens possibilities in economic, social, political spheres, favorable conditions for full value way of life.
The state guarantees to each labor veteran and elderly citizen the proper living standard, satisfaction of different vital needs, granting different kinds of aid by means of:
- realization of the right to work according to professional qualification, working skills and taking into consideration health condition;
- provision with pensions and aids;
- giving accommodation;
- creation of conditions for maintaining of health and active long-life in correspondence with modern achievements of science, etc.
Labor veterans are the citizens who worked industriously for national economy, state establishments, organizations and unions of citizens, have record of service (35 years women and 40 - men) and retired. To this category shall also refer:
- the citizens who have pensions on privileged conditions;
- the pensioners awarded medal “Labor Veteran” according to the legislation of former Union SSR;
- disabled of groups I and II who receive disability pensions, if their total record of service is not less than 15 years.
Labor veterans shall have the following privileges:
- prior free of charge false teeth placing;
- annual medical examination and clinical examination with attraction of necessary specialists;
- prior servicing in clinic prophylaxis establishments, in chemist's shops and prior hospitalization;
- prior right to setting home phones;
- immunity from payment for land and land tax payment, etc.
To the persons who have special labor services before Motherland the Law refers the Heroes of Socialist Labor, Heroes of Ukraine and full bearers of the Order of Labor Fame. The persons who have special labor services before Motherland shall be granted the following privileges:
- supplementary pensions which they receive in amount 200 % of minimum old age pension;
- prior free of charge provision with medicines on doctor's prescription, delivery of medicines home on doctor's conclusions;
- out of turn acquisition of tickets for all types of railway, water, air and motor car transport;
- out of turn use of all kinds of services of trade and everyday service enterprises, during visiting cultural spectacular and sports recreational measures;
- granting to the above mentioned persons of annual paid holiday as well as additional holiday without salary payment thereto for the term of up to three weeks per year in suitable for them time, etc.
The elderly citizens are men of age 60 and women of age 55 years old and older as well as the citizens who are to reach pension age in not more than a year and a half. The elderly citizens shall have the right to work equally with other citizens. This right is additionally guaranteed by the state programs on population employment. The elderly citizens shall have a fixed working day. Working place of elderly citizen shall be equipped with the respective technical and other means which help to secure his health and ability to work. The elderly citizens shall have the right to material provision according to the current legislation. This right is guaranteed by payment of labor or social pensions, different aids and granting help in a form in kind.
Each elderly citizen of pension age who has the required record of service shall have the right to old age pension. This right is conditioned by labor contribution and shall not be limited by any circumstances, including presence of other incomes. The procedure and conditions of pension provision of elderly citizens are set by the Law of Ukraine “On Pension Provision”. Old age pensions shall be paid in full amount without taking into consideration received salary (other income). Social pension shall be set for elderly citizens who do not have the right to labor pension. The age for social pension appointment, its amount and procedure of payment thereof are set by the legislation of Ukraine on pension provision.
If a labor agreement with the persons of pre-pension age was broken on initiative of the owner or of the authorized by him body because of changes of production organization or of labor conditions including liquidation, reorganization, change of profile of enterprises, establishments and organizations, reduction of number employees or staff as well as revealed inconsistency of employee to the occupied post by health condition, these persons shall be guaranteed the right to pre-term retirement. The above retirement shall be possible a year and a half before set by the legislation term, if the person has required general record of service also on privileged conditions.
The working elderly citizens shall receive temporary disability aid equally with other workers regardless of pension receipt. The elderly person may receive special purpose aid in amount and procedure of its payment set by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. This aid is paid due to additional expenses of the elderly citizens on sanatorium resort treatment or long-term treatment and purchase of medicines.
A monthly aid in amount and procedure of payment set by the Law of Ukraine “On Pension Provision” or social everyday care at home by state establishments shall be appointed to the lonely elderly citizens who on conclusion of medical establishments require somebody's permanent care. The persons who take care of those lonely elderly citizens who on conclusion of medical establishments require somebody's permanent care may receive a monthly aid in amount and procedure of payment set by the local bodies of power from the funds of these councils.