The Law of Ukraine
On Status of War Veterans, Guarantees of their Social Protection
Date of Entry into Force:
January 1, 1994
The Law of Ukraine “On Status of War Veterans, Guarantees of Their Social Protection” (hereinafter the Law) determines legal status of war veterans, ensures creation of proper conditions for their life, promotes forming in the society of respective attitude to them. War veterans are the persons who participated in defense of Motherland or in military operations on the territories of other states. To war veterans refer: participants of military operations, war invalids, war participants.
Participants of military operations are the persons who took part in military missions on Motherland defense in military sub-units, formations, unions of all types and branches of troops of the Armed Forces of operating army (fleet), in partisan detachments and underground and in other formations during war as well as in peaceful time.
To war invalids shall refer the persons who were military personnel of operating army and fleet, partisans or underground workers. To this group shall also refer the people who became invalids as a result of wound, contusion, cripple, disease got during defense of Motherland, doing military duties (official duties) or due to being on front, in partisan detachments, underground organizations and groups and in other formations which are acknowledged by the legislation of Ukraine as well as those who were in the regions of military operations, in front sectors of railway stations, built defense lines, naval bases and aerodromes in the period of civil and Great Patriotic wars or participated in military operations in peaceful time.
War participants are the military personnel who in the period of war did military service in the Armed Forces of the former USSR, employees of rear services as well as other persons envisaged by this Law.
The participants of military operation shall have the following privileges:
- free of charge annual provision with sanatorium resort treatment and compensation of value of self-dependent sanatorium resort treatment;
- 75% discount of payment for public utilities (gas, electricity and other services) within the limits of average norms of consumption;
- annual medical examination and clinical examination with attraction of the necessary specialists;
- payment of aid on temporary disability in amount 100 per cent of average salary regardless to record of service;
- regular annual holiday in suitable for them time as well as additional holiday without preserving salary for the term of up to two weeks per a year, etc.
War invalids and equated to them persons shall have the following privileges:
- 100 per cent discount for use of public utilities within the limits of average norms of consuming;
- out of turn free of charge thorough repairs of private dwelling houses and prior current repair of dwelling houses and apartments;
- the right to annual medical examination and clinical examination with attraction of the necessary specialists;
- out of turn job placement according to training and conclusions of medical social examination;
- payment of temporary disability aid to the working war invalids in amount of 100 per cent of annual salary regardless to record of service, etc.
War participants (Articles 8, 9) shall have the following privileges:
- free of charge receipt of medicines on doctor's prescription;
- free of charge provision with sanatorium resort treatment - one time per two years as well as compensation of value of self-dependent sanatorium resort treatment;
- 50 % discount of payment for public utilities (gas, electricity and other services) within the limits of average norms of consumption;
- annual medical examination and clinical examination with attraction of necessary specialists;
- prior service in clinic prophylactic establishments, chemist's shops and prior hospitalization, etc.
The persons who have special services before Motherland shall have the following privileges:
- exemption from all types of taxes, fees, customs duties and other payments to the budget;
- prior free of charge provision with medicines on doctors' recipes, delivery medicines on doctor's conclusion home;
- free of charge production and repair of false teeth;
- exemption from payment for registration of documents for ownership right to apartment during its privatization;
- prior delivery of building materials for erection of private dwelling houses and thorough repair of dwelling, etc.
Expenses connected with coming into effect of this Law is shall be covered from the State and local budget funds. Enterprises and organizations which give charity funds for social protection of war veterans shall be exempted from taxation of their production activity for the sum of this aid. Expenses on burial of war veterans mentioned in this Law shall be covered from state budget funds in the procedure set by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Enterprises, establishments and organizations, where war veterans worked, shall help in organization and financing of funeral during burial of veterans. The graves of veterans shall be inviolable and are protected by law. Disrespect to state awards, monuments, obelisks, common graves, graves of war veterans shall be punished in compliance with law.