The Law of Ukraine
On the State Program of Elimination of the Chornobyl Catastrophe Consequences for
2006 – 2010
Date of Entry into Force:
January 1, 2007
The Law approves the State Program of Elimination of the Chornobyl Catastrophe Consequences for 2006-2010, hereinafter Program.
Pursuant to the provisions of the Program measures shall be implemented regarding:
- further social, medical and psychological rehabilitation of the population and its antiradiation protection;
- principal completion of economic revival of inhabited localities and territories beyond exclusion zone that underwent radioactive contamination, as well as places of compact residence of resettled population;
- provision of preservation of cultural and historical heritage of the resettled population.
Basic tasks of the Program are as follows:
- preservation of health of the persons suffered from the Chornobyl catastrophe. With this purpose long-term and one-year programs for complex medical and sanitary provision of the persons suffered from the Chornobyl catastroph will be developed;
- strengthening and support of radiation security barriers, antiradiation protection of population that resides on the contaminated territories, limitation of radioactive nuclide spreading from the exclusion zone. Basic direction of antiradiation protection of the population residing on the contaminated territory is conducting optimized antiradiation measures in the agroindustrial production and forestry. Works in the exclusion zone occupy a special place in the system of measures aimed at the elimination of the Chornoby catastrophe consequences due to the fact that the majority of radioactive stuff from the ruined reactor and radioactive waste remained on its territory.
A component part of the Program is implementation of the Plan of measures on the object ‘Shelter’ (Ukryttya) as regards to which agreement between the ‘Big Seven’ countries and Ukraine was reached. Implementation of this Plan is financed according to the Framework Agreement between Ukraine and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development regarding the activity of the Chornobyl Fund ‘Shelter’ (Ukryttya) ratified by the Law of Ukraine №80/98-VR of February 4, 1998.
Information regarding amount of radiation dose and its dynamics shall be published in the official printed mass media. The settlements that belong to all zones of radioactive contamination will be subject to dosimeter certification.
- social protection of the persons suffered from the Chornobyl catastrophe, economic rehabilitation of the contaminated territories and transfer them to the category of pure ones.
Basic tasks of this direction are as follows:
- ensuring social protection of the persons suffered from the Chornobyl catastrophe;
- creation conditions for economic rehabilitation and development of the contaminated territories;
- development and implementation of measures regarding rehabilitation of the contaminated inhabited localities with respective budget financing;
The Program determines basic groups of the citizens who require priority social protection, in particular:
- disabled people;
- sick people;
- population residing on the contaminated territories;
- evacuees or persons resettled from the above territories.
The amounts of expenditures from the State Budget of Ukraine for the fulfillment of priority tasks of the Program for 2006-2010 are enlisted in the Annex to this Program. Annual expenditures for the envisaged by the Program measures are corrected by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine according to the Law of Ukraine on the State Budget of Ukraine for the respective year and the priorities of the Program.
Implementation of the Program will guarantee holding urgent measures aimed at the preservation of health of the persons suffered from the Chornobyl catastrophe, timely and full treatment of the suffered, their social and radiation protection.