The Law of Ukraine
On State Statistics
Date of Entry into Force:
September 17, 1992
The present Law was stated in a new wording according to the Law of Ukraine N 1922-III of July 13, 2000.
According to the Law, state statistics is a centralized system of collecting, processing, analyzing, spreading, keeping, protection and use of statistical information.
State statistical activity is a totality of actions related to performing state observations and providing informational services aimed at collecting, processing, analysis, spreading, keeping, protection and use of statistical information, ensuring its reliability as well as improvement of statistical methodology.
The subjects of state statistical activity are:
- bodies of state statistics and their employees;
- respondents (persons or totality of persons who are subject to statistical observation);
- users of data of statistical observations.
To respondents the Law refers:
- legal entities, their branches, departments, representations and other separated structural subdivisions located on the territory of Ukraine;
- legal entities, their branches, departments, representative offices and other separated structural subdivisions located outside the territory of Ukraine and created with participation of Ukrainian legal entities;
- natural persons regardless of their citizenship who stay on the territory of Ukraine;
- natural persons who are the citizens of Ukraine and stay abroad.
According to the Law, statistical information exists in the form of primary data concerning respondents, of statistical data which passed one or several stages of processing and are accumulated on paper, magnetic and other carriers or in electronic form, as well as of analytical materials prepared on the basis of these data.
Sources of statistical information may be:
- primary and statistical data concerning respondents liable to statistical observations;
- administrative data of bodies of state power, bodies of local self-government, legal entities;
- data of bank and financial statistics, balance of payment statistics;
- statistical information of international organizations and statistical services of other states;
- evaluations and calculations done on the basis of the above data.
Statistical observation may be:
- entire (observation of all without exception items of the studied totality);
- partial (observation of separate items of the studied totality).
The Law establishes basic tasks, rights and duties of bodies of state statistics, their employees, as well as respondents and users of data of statistical observations.
Statistical information obtained in the process of state statistical observations as well as primary data obtained in the process of other statistical observations shall be the state property. The ownership right to summarized impersonal statistical information obtained by bodies of state statistic in the process of statistical observations conducted at the expense of customer's costs shall be determined by agreements on creation of such information.
Access to statistical information shall be ensured by:
- its systematic publication in printed editions;
- its spreading by mass media;
- its direct provision to bodies of state power and local self-government, other legal entities and natural persons.