The Law of Ukraine
On State Border of Ukraine
Date of Entry into Force:
December 18, 1991
According to the Law the state border of Ukraine is a line and vertical surface over it that mark boundaries of the territory of Ukraine - land, water, bowels and airspace.
The state border of Ukraine is protected by the State Frontier Service of Ukraine and the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
The state border of Ukraine is marked on the ground by distinctly visible border signs.
To Ukrainian territorial sea refer coastal sea waters 12 sea miles wide which are counted from the line of the biggest tide on the continent as well as on the islands belonging to Ukraine, or from direct outcoming lines that unite the corresponding spots.
To inland waters of Ukraine the Law refers:
- sea waters, located in the direction of coast from direct outcoming lines taken for counting width of Ukrainian territorial sea;
- waters of Ukrainian ports limited by the line coming through permanent port constructions which protrude toward the sea most of all;
- waters of gulfs, bays, inlets and estuaries, harbors and roadsteads which coasts fully belong to Ukraine;
- waters of gulfs, bays, inlets and estuaries, seas and straits which historically belong to Ukraine;
- limited by state border part of rivers, lakes and other watercourses which coasts belong to Ukraine.
The Law sets regime of the state border of Ukraine. Regime of the state border of Ukraine is the procedure of crossing Ukrainian state border, sailing and staying of Ukrainian and foreign civil ships and men-of-war in Ukrainian territorial sea and inland waters, entry of foreign civil ships and men-of-war in Ukrainian inland waters and ports and stay in them, maintenance of state border of Ukraine, conducting different works, industrial and other activities on the state border of Ukraine.
Persons, transport vehicles, cargos and other property moving through the state border of Ukraine shall pass frontier and customs control.
The Law prohibits any industrial, research and searching activities of foreign civil ships and men-of-war in Ukrainian territorial sea and inland waters.
In case of threat of spreading especially dangerous infectious diseases on the territory of Ukraine or foreign state communication through state border of Ukraine in the dangerous places may be temporary limited or stopped. Besides, quarantine for people, animals, cargos, seeds, planting materials and other products of animal and plant origin crossing state border of Ukraine may be set.
The government sets frontier line and controlled border districts with the purpose of ensuring proper order on the state border of Ukraine.
The Law also sets:
- rights of bodies of Sate Frontier Service of Ukraine concerning foreign and Ukrainian civil ships;
- grounds for detention of foreign and Ukrainian civil ships by bodies of State Frontier Service of Ukraine;
- responsibility for violation of legislation on the state border of Ukraine.