Law of Ukraine
"On Regulation of City Planning Activity"
Date of entry into force:
March 12, 2011
The Law establishes the legal and organizational principles of city planning activity and is aimed at ensuring sustainable development of territories with due consideration of state, community and private interests.
According to Article 2 of the Law, territory zoning and development is an activity of state bodies, bodies of local self-government, legal entities and natural persons that entails:
- forecasting territory development;
- ensuring rational displacement of population and determining directions of sustainable territory development;
- substantiating land distribution by purpose;
- mutual coordination of state, community and private interests during territory zoning and development;
- determining and reasonable mutual placement of residential and civil areas, industrial, recreational, environmental, health care, historical and cultural, and other zones and areas;
- determining development regimes for territories on which city planning activity is envisaged;
- preparing city planning and project documentation, constructing objects;
- reconstructing the existing buildings and territories;
- preserving, creating and restoring recreational, environmental and health care territories and objects, landscapes, forests, parks, mini parks and separate vegetation sites;
- creating and developing engineering and transport infrastructure;
- maintaining the city planning cadastre;
- exercising control in the sphere of city planning.
Article 5 of the Law envisages that development programs for regions and population centers, as well as economic, social and cultural development programs must be coordinated with the city planning documents at the appropriate level.
Territory zoning works on the state level are financed from the State Budget of Ukraine. Territory zoning works in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, regions, districts, population centers, city districts and quarters are financed from appropriate local budgets or other sources not forbidden by the legislation (Article 10 of the Law).
According to Article 17 of the Law, the master plan of a population center is the main type of city planning documentation on a local level, intended for substantiating the long-term zoning and development strategy of the appropriate population center. The plan for land and economic structure of the population center is an integral part of the master plan of such population center.
Changes to the master plan of a population center can be introduced no more than once per five years.
A detailed territory plan clarifies the provisions of the population center master plan and determines the planning organization and territory zoning (Article 19 of the Law).
Article 26 of the Law establishes that territory development is carried out by way of siting construction objects. Subjects of city planning activity must adhere to urban development conditions and limitations during design and construction of objects.
According to Article 32 of the Law, all construction objects are classified as complexity category I, II, III, IV and V depending on the complexity of the architectural and construction concept and/or utilities. The construction object complexity category is determined according to the state construction norms and standards based on the importance class of the appropriate construction object.
Article 41 of the Law determines that the State Architectural and Construction Control is a complex of measures aimed to ensuring adherence to the requirements of the legislation in the sphere of city planning activity, state construction norms, standards and regulations during preparatory and construction works.
The final provisions of the Law envisage introducing appropriate amendments to the Laws of Ukraine "On Environmental Protection", "On Local Self-Government in Ukraine", "On Protection of Labor", "On Land Management", etc.